Sunday, March 12, 2017

Thus Far

I have been truly enjoying my time at Brown Street Acadamy. I have been primarily working with one 3rd grader named Mariah. The first time I met Mariah was not a way I wanted to see her.

She was being carried down the hall by her teacher. I found out that she spit in his face after an argument about her not completing her homework and started pushing tables and chairs over. Her teacher described her as, "moody." I was not working with her at that time.

The next week, though, her teacher asked me to work with her. I was very nervous because of how I saw her the week prior. I agreed though, because I do like kids and can get along with them pretty easily. However, starting my morning by potentially getting spit in the face definitely worried me.

To my surprise, she is the sweetest student I have worked with so far, as well as the best reader. I was shocked at how quickly she read with ease. She could conquer words like "clementine" and "abundantly" which the other students would take a minute or two to dissect and sound out. It was my birthday this weekend, so we talked about birthdays a lot and she brought up her favorite birthday at her old daycare.

She told me about all of her friends at her old daycare and how much she loved it there. When I asked her if she had friends here, she said "nope."

Unfortunately, I think this girl is greatly misunderstood. Unfortunately, I'm sure her teachers do not have a lot of time to individually speak to each individual and try to figure out why exactly they act the way they do, but I think she appreciated the time we spent together. She laughed and smiled the entire time.

I received a phone call during our tutoring, and when I pulled out to see who was calling (it was just a toll free call), and she asked me if I had ever heard of Snapchat. Of course I did and she asked me if I could send my friends a picture of her. I gave her free play of Snapchat and created this picture using emojis and filters and could not stop laughing. I kept the picture and am posting it below. I really like this girl despite her "moodiness" and I really hope to continue working with her. She's a great reader, but just needs some personalized attention.

Plus, I can't get over how she was so excited to make herself Abe Lincoln...these kids are too funny!






3 comments:

  1. I commend your openness and willingness to give this girl a fair shot. I agree that knowing she spit at the teacher would be off-putting, but not knowing their dynamic is huge. I look forward to hearing about your growth together as the semester continues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commend your openness and willingness to give this girl a fair shot. I agree that knowing she spit at the teacher would be off-putting, but not knowing their dynamic is huge. I look forward to hearing about your growth together as the semester continues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gabrielle,

    I loved your post. I really appreciate your patience and openness while dealing with Mariah. I think that many children are misunderstood and I really like how you worked with her and got to know her well. I hope you get to know Mariah even more and keep up the great work you are doing.

    ReplyDelete